Sunday, August 19, 2007

After the storm...

The Typhoon has come and gone. I suppose I should be lucky that we weren't hit by it very hard, but I secretly wanted their to be a few trees flying around - it would have been a good story to tell. As it was, all that affected me was that my umbrella got broken. Fortunately here in Taiwan, the demand for umbrellas has created an economy of scale, such that I can get a decent umbrella for under $3 US. Additionally, I wasn't really planning on bringing an umbrella home with me, so again, no great loss.

As I mentioned to a couple of you, I had my last final on Friday. I still have class until Wednesday, but I don't think that we will be doing much. I'm also taking some time out of classes on Monday and Tuesday so that I can tour Taichung on my own - the National Science Museum is nearby, so I think I might check that out.

Some people have been asking what life is like here. To be honest, it's not that much different than what you might imagine life at college in the states being like, except that the food is cheaper, and you find yourself illiterate when looking at menus with options fancier than beef fried rice. We've also had some great trips on the weekends, but during the week, we have four hours of classes each day, and then we're on our own for food, homework and sleeping - and some nights bars. The drinking age is 18 here, so it's been nice to be able to go down to the local expat pub every so often.

One of the next videos I'm taking will show the local street market - and the best place to get cold noodles!

No comments: